Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Apple

My husband has loved grilled cheese sandwiches since he was a little boy.  He told me once when he was little that he choked on a gob of cheese while he was eating one.  He said it was scary, but he didn't tell anyone because he was afraid he wouldn't get to eat grilled cheese anymore.  He survived and he still loves grilled cheese.  Our kids love grilled cheese, too.  When I need a quick and easy lunch or dinner, grilled cheese with a bowl of soup does the job and everyone is happy.

I needed a quick dinner this week and I decided to make grilled cheese.  But, I thought it would be fun to try something a little different.    

Ingredients 
8 slices Italian bread (or other white bread), sliced 1/2-inch thick
12 ounces Sharp Cheddar (or medium/mild if that's your preference), sliced
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
12 slices *bacon, cooked to desired doneness
1 green apple, thinly sliced
Dijon or spicy brown mustard  
Directions 
Heat griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Alternatively you can use your panini press if you have one.
Assemble sandwich: Spread mustard on 4 slices of bread. Top with slices of Cheddar, 3 pieces of bacon, apple slices and additional Cheddar. Place the remaining bread on top and spread with butter. Place on skillet buttered-side down and butter the remaining side. Cook until cheese is slightly melted and bread is browned. Flip the sandwich and continue to cook until cheese is thoroughly melted and sandwich is golden brown.  4 servings

*I suggest you bake your bacon.  It turns out crispy, but flat--perfect for sandwiches.



The Results...
This is certainly not your typical grilled cheese.  Bacon, Apple and mustard all added some extra flavor and zing.  But, did everyone like the extra flavors?

Most of us did.  My husband and son both said they liked this sandwich and thought the flavors were interesting together.  I agreed with them.  Our 8 yr. old was the only one that said she "HATED it!"  Our 4 yr. old did what she always does with sandwiches.  She takes them apart, makes a mess and manages to eat some of it.

Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Apple was a fun new way to eat grilled cheese!

I share recipes at these linky parties.

Comments

  1. This looks like a great recipe! Your hubby's story about choking was cute. I remember choking on a potato chip when I was in kindergarten and didn't eat potato chips for YEARS. Would't that be nice if I still didn't? Would help a lot in my diet! Hope you're having a nice day! Would love for you to join our Foodie Friends Friday linky party with a great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This recipe is shared at Foodie Friends Friday. Already lots of yummy looking recipes over there. Thanks for hosting. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  2. that sounds very unique and delicious. My daughter loves grilled cheese sandwich, too. NExt time I won't forget to sneak some apple inside :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was unique and tasty! I like to sneak in some fruits and veggies whenever I can. :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I so need to try this! What a great combination of flavors and I'm so happy apple season is almost here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be great for apple season! I hope you give it a try and stop by again and let me know what you think. Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  4. This grilled cheese looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just stopping by to thank you for sharing! Don't forget to vote on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this!! So refreshing for summer. Thanks for sharing on Southern Sundays. Hope to see you again tomorrow.!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a co-host for Mom's Test Meal MOndays I'm choosing you as one of my Features. The post will go live on Friday night so the button will be available to grab after that! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Can't wait to see it featured on Friday!

      Delete
    2. Congrats on the feature this week!! I'm so happy that you share your recipes with us!! Can't wait to see what you bring next week!!

      Have a great weekend!

      Delete

Post a Comment